Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia – Archdiocesan District of Perth: Memorial Service for the Great Benefactors of Castellorizo: Loukas and Anastasia Santrape
On Sunday 18 October at the Church of Saints Constantine and Helene in Perth a Memorial Service was organised by the Castellorizian Association of Western Australia for the repose of the souls of Loukas and Anastasia Santrape, the Great Benefactors of Castellorizo.
His Grace Bishop Elpidios of Kyaneon, representing His Eminence Archbishop Makarios of Australia, presided at the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy and the Memorial Service assisted by the Parish Priest, Fr Terry Gerovasilis, together with Deacon Athanasios Athanasiadis.
Such was the multitude of theIr philanthropic works on the Island of Castellorizo that it is specified in the constitutions of many Castellorizian Associations throughout the world, that Louka and Anastasia Santrape are remembered in prayers annually, on the Feast day of the Apostle Luke on the 18th of October.
Loukas Santrape (1852- 1944) was a wealthy Castellorizian who resided for most of his life, with his wife, Anastasia, in Cairo, Egypt. The philanthropic couple used their good fortune in business to assist many but, never forgetting the inhabitants of their beloved Castellorizo, providing specifically for their compatriots’ religious and educational needs.
The Santrape benefactors provided the necessary funds for the building of a new school, the “Santrapeia Astiki Scholi”(referred to as “to Skolio tou Santrape”) on the site of an earlier edifice. Initially, this was a “male” institution located near the Cathedral of Saints Constantine and Helene on Castellorizo, in the area known as “Horafia”. It was built in a neo-classical style,resembling the University of Athens. At it’s opening in late 1903, it catered for 308 boys and 8 teachers, complementing the nearby “Parthenagogion” (Girls’ school) which was the work of the then Mayor of Castellorizo, Theodosis Penglis.
Santrape also provided the necessary funds for the building in 1906 of the nearby church of St George…”Agios Georgios tou Horafiou (also known as “Agios Georgios tou Louka”), on the foundations of an earlier church of St George, originally consecrated in 1637. The new church was designed by the Samian architect, Panos Diakostamatis, in a late Byzantine style, but was never completed due to worsening economic conditions after 1908. It is pleasing to learn of the current endeavours of the Greek Government to restore church buildings of yesteryear with the provision of funds. The restoration of St George at Horafia has already commenced,following the completion of works at “St George of the Well” on the waterfront.
In the church, “St George tou Louka / Horafiou”, noteworthy is the church’s magnificent marble temblo (iconostasion) and the bishop’s throne, also made of marble. Outside the church lies a fenced memorial to Loukas and Anastasia Santrape.
At the end of the service, His Grace conveyed to all the faithful the blessings and paternal love of our spiritual father, Archbishop Makarios, and informed all of His Eminence’s return to Australia after being in Constantinople.