The cell of Mylopotamos, Mount Athos
The cell of Saint Eustathios from Mylopotamos is the largest Athonite dependency of the Great Lavra Monastery in Mount Athos. The settlement is founded by Saint Athanasios the Athonite and is known throughout the Orthodox world for its vineyards and for the production of liturgical wine.
The chapel bearing the patron saint of Saint Eustathios and the tower of the church, were built by Saint Athanasios after 973. In addition to the vines, Saint Athanasios and his disciples also planted olive trees, and the settlement was endowed with an oil press.
The life of Saint Athanasios the Athonite records the miracle of the cancer cure of the monk Theodor of Mylopotamos, the brother of the Saint Xenophon the founder of the Xenofont Monastery. Another time, a brother by the name of Gherasim, working in the vineyard, wanted to pluck a tall vine from the ground. But this movement caused him an inguinal hernia, which caused him terrible pain. But by the prayer of St. Athanasios and by the sign of the Holy Cross he was healed.
Throughout the centuries, the cell served as a place of exile for many prominent ecclesiastical figures, including Ecumenical Patriarch Gregory V (1745-1821), who remained there for a few years, Ecumenical Patriarch Joachim III which lived there for twelve years (1889-1901), and a bishop of Florina who lived there for three years (1917-1920).
The name is derived from the river on which was an old mill. Mylopotamos means „the river of the mill”.
In the millenary history of the cell there are numerous historical references related to the famous liturgical wine from Mylopotamos.
View more photos HERE
— Source: asceticexperience.com